Wednesday, April 21, 2010

221b Baker Street

And yet another friend request on Orkut. Another ghost from the past. However this one was a pleasant surprise. 15 years, a receding hairline and a prominent paunch later, it was still dear old Yudi. It was the first time somebody from the City of Joy had got in touch with me. I took my cup of coffee and stepped out my room onto the terrace and a few decades back in time.

I think it was in class 8 that I saw Yudi for the first time. Yudi, the class entertainer and the sidekick of the most handsome guy around. My first crush, well technically the second. I was one of those confused teens who had a thing for a 40 yr old man. A man who lived in Baker street. Sigh, not something I can explain. I guess the charm of intellect was irresistible. I had recovered soon enough to fall for looks though! And Dilwale style, the guy was called Raj. And this Raj could sing too. I still remember his version of ‘Is pyar se meri taraf na dekho…. pyar ho jaayega’. Although I do not remember pursuing the crush, I think I did moon over him for a year.

For a year, until the entry of Aradhana in Class 9. Ethereal was the word to describe Aradhana. At least that is how all the boys described her. For me it was ‘best friends for life’ time. A shy, introvert, mini geek and the pretty, restless and often loud Aradhana. She was the first person who introduced me to the world of trinkets, shopping, achar outside the school and bread cutlets in Gariahat. Perhaps, I was a project for her. But I did change. And unlike most friendships where there is some competition, this one was fun. Each had their own worlds, even satisfied in them, he only time they ventured into the other’s side of life was when they were together. I must admit I was a stubborn child, most only kids are. But there were never any disagreements with Aradhana. I am not sure if the friendship was perfect or if time has erased the imperfections of the reality of a long time ago. But whatever the case, there were no grudges, there still aren't. Even the fact that my crush fell for her and ignored me for the rest of my time in school didn't mar the friendship. Who can blame her? The whole school and half the world seemed to be in love with her.

What about her? She fell for the dancer – Jay. Jay was one of the most popular guys in the school's history. He had already passed out by the time we were in class 9 but often performed in school annual functions on public demand. My memory of incidents after that are vague, the mini geek in me had taken over my soul for the next few years. Friendships of the time are blurred images now. But the affair and the gossip about it floated around for a few years after that and then time and distance relegated her memory to a frame in my past.

My coffee had gone cold while I watched the traffic go by. Even though I had stepped back to the present, I was still gripping a fragment of the past – Yudi’s friend request. Hmm.. I think I would accept this one. I would love to know the rest of the story…

3 comments:

Scorpio said...

>>Perhaps, I was a project for her.
LOL!!! good one! And because of censorship issues i cannot comment any further! ;)

Anonymous said...

aha !! i would love to know as well !!!! :P

Hazel said...

hmmm..some other time.. hehe