Friday, April 02, 2010

Breathless


One of the topics of discussion at the long lunch with P was when was the last time someone took your breath away? I mean literally - heart thudding against the ribs, the glazed look , perspiration on the forehead, stammering and a general woozy feeling - that is what I call taking your breath away. So when was the last time ?

I think I can answer that question honestly but what is funny is that I do not remember the face now. The answer ? Last week, near the lift at work, had a cup of tea in one hand (and my eyes which were threatening to fall out in the other!) and for a moment , I forgot where I was . Time stopped. It was almost like I was wearing blinkers, I couldn't see anything else, hear anything else. And I am not head over heels in anything. Like I said , I do not even remember the face now , just the feeling! So does anyone else remember and is brave enough to admit ? *wink*

And no, ET, I have not got my brains scrambled from all that mush that I have gobbling up. I know what is coming.




5 comments:

Scorpio said...

well..i always remember and am always brave! some might consider it shameless! ;) but here it is...

She was on her way home. She was stopping in NYC to meet her friend who was also my childhood buddy. I had met him earlier that day. Being new to the city, he needed help picking her up at the airport. I was quite happy to help - it meant more time to spend with an old friend. She came out tired and complaining about the delayed flight. She looked at me as I introduced myself and I knew that my life had taken a new meaning...

She was a petite girl and he was short and thin and there were just too many bags between them that needed to be carried to Penn Station from where they were to board a train to a destination 2 hours away in New Jersey. I offered to help them until they boarded the train. I had offered to come to the airport so I would get more time to spend with my friend but now I had one more reason. Traveling in the NYC Subway, I gave them some space to catch up as they were meeting after a few months. It did seem to me that my friend was behaving as if she was his girlfriend while she was just being friendly to him. I could sense her looking my way every now and then even though she was in a conversation with him. We reached Penn Station and were mighty hungry...

The train to their destination was to leave in an hour. This gave us enough time to find a pizzeria to grab a quick bite. I am not sure about my friend but She and I were famished. My friend offered to get us a table and look after the bags while I got the food. She offered to come along and help me. It struck me as a little odd that she was so eager to tag along with me. But then, like I had mentioned earlier, she did seem to be looking my way quite a bit on the subway ride (The song "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt was playing in my head...She smiled at me on the subway. She was with another man!!!...). I knew what I wanted - 2 slices of mushroom pizza and a large mountain dew. I guess she realized that I had caught her staring at me so she awkwardly went a little further away from me. Now, it was my turn to stare at her and realize how pretty she was even in that tired and disheveled state. I noticed that she wasn't actually ordering anything at all - she probably wanted the mushroom pizza too but since I had already ordered it she probably didn't want to order the same and be seen as kind of lame! I went to her and told her to go ahead and get anything - we could share the food. She smiled at me...

...And this was my frozen moment with E...i have a few more with C, Z, H, M, F, S, A, K etc., we will visit those some other time! :)

Hazel said...

Hmm ET.. Am surprised, you put that one ...ahem..

Scorpio said...

well its all going to be in the public domain soon(i hope!)...so why not garner some interest...

Akshay said...

ummm i wasnt there near the lift... what are you even talking about??? :P

Hazel said...

Aha... :P... but sigh! ..like I said ... I do not remember the face now :(