Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cruel Summer


Some random thoughts...

A new old friend on FB says that he remembers my name and my face but nothing else.Well, not sure if my ego should feel bruised or bloated. The face and the name is everything for an average person, right? Since I haven't done anything remotely Mother Theresa like , nothing else is really worth remembering! Then why am I miffed, a wee bit?

Reconnected with many people on FB. With my life split into 5 year slices, the friends also fall into different groups. The Pune colony and school group, the Kolkatta primary school group, the secondary school group, the UG group in Madras, the PG group in Madras, the first company group , again split into people from different projects and then there is the second company and so on so forth. Not complaining. Just happy to meet all those people again. And surprised too . I have a new found love for humanity these days!

And grooving to the strains of 'its a cruel, cruel summer'. Yes, am into retro too now. Bananarama time. Just the music though. Thanks but no thanks to the buffy hairstyle and high waist jeans, It would only confirm that I am running towards the past than trying to crawl towards the future!

Oh, something that I forgot to mention in my previous post. The American mentioned that she found my English to be best among all the Indians that she had met. She had already spent a few months in India. Am still floating. I know I am not going to write a 'God of small things' but hey its a compliment, which I accept with no hint of modesty what so ever!!!!! (ET, don't burst my bubble yet! you can correct my grammar in a while :)))

Someone was talking about women having to work doubly hard (when compared to the men) to succeed at work, any kind of work at that. While I agree with the comment up to a certain extend, I have to admit that I have observed that it has always been a man who has sorted out problems of that sort. Never a woman. Wonder if feminism has gone too far in our times and we have started using men as an excuse for any or all of our problems. I mean no offense to the victims of genuine discrimination. Just wondering if there is more to the problem than, well men! An example would be this recent show on TV where a few city breed women celebrities are sent to a village to live with the villagers (not sure if the villagers are genuine. I didn't last long enough through the program to find out). The show thrives on showing the silly problems these women face like waking up early in the morning and making tea and more such crap. I fail to understand why any strong independent woman would want to project herself as a helpless babe in the woods( literally in this case). C'mon, one of them has even survived jail. But no, off they go creating this aura of helplessness and then you go and blame men for not giving you your share. Shame! Shame!

And its past midnight... singing ..

He was really saying something

Hey yeah yeah

I was walking down the street
Do-wah do-wah)
When this boy started following me
Oh yeah
Now I ignored all the things he said
Do-wah do-wah)
He moved me in every way

With his collar unbuttononed
On my side he was struttin'

He was really saying something
Saying something)
Really saying something
Saying something
Bop bop shoo be do-wah
Bop bop shoo be do-wah

Sigh.. Nite....

(P.S : Found the the Bananarama cover on the web during a search. Drop a line if it involves any violation and it shall be removed)

5 comments:

Pixie said...

That song rocks!! :D

FB has helped us connect with a lot of friends, especially from school days! :D

You are right though about fixing problems part, I had noticed it too.. so I make an effort to help the girls in my team if they need anything and I make sure that their problems are resolved :)

how was your weekend? :)

And yay! for u on that Lady commenting your English! :)
Keep floating!!

Reality TV has taken the definition of CRAP TV to a new level!! Sigh...
I stopped watching such shows!

Scorpio said...

Oh don't worry I am not going to burst your bubble. I think your English is pretty good too (just don't be lazy about using the spell-check feature!) :)

And about women...I think there is a huge difference between normal women who really face obstacles and the idiot divas on reality shows who seem to be living in an unreal world! Irony, anyone?

Sanjana said...

The ladies facing the real problems and discrimination, most times dont even find time to think about feminism and what nots, sometimes they do not realise they are being harrassed or discriminated against until its too late. So I gotta agree with scorpio on that one.

Reading about ur Amru friend's compliment reminded me of the last time I took my clients out. One of the guys asked me how it was that I had a british accent. Needless to say I was flying.. But honestly I did not even realise my accent was British.. I thought it was pure Indian .. well Waddya know :-)

Akshay said...

well well well, Americans commenting on your english being good? impressive.
And, please dont watch those idiotic shows - i respect you way too much. Would be unfair to me... :D

Hazel said...

@Pix... weekend was good . Went to a few banks.. yeah it was that type of 'good' :))
@ ET.. :-) ty my mobile spellcheck.. what would I do without you..:))
@Sanju.. yay.. high-five!!!! :))
@Akshay... ty ty ..:) and no.. am not hooked to those.. that was for GK ;)