Thursday, November 19, 2009

Off Day!

I am playing hookey today , no secrets about the title. But
by 'off' I meant a forgettable day. What do I do to make it worth
framing and hanging on the wall ? :-)) or a bare minimum - tolerable?

1) Order / Cook my fav food, sit back and enjoy it with a good movie,
mush preferably . (yeah, predictable and the competition with Santa begins)

2) Reread Adventures of Tom Sawyer, have been wanting to do that
for a long time. (Would do it today!)

3) Spend time with big bro Google - (or wiki ). ( looking for reviews of
James Patterson's latest, today)

4) Call amma - Catch up on the gossip at home.(works all the time,
my clan is an entertaining lot, there is always someone up to some mischief
or the other. Heard that Villy Aunty was caught counting the coconuts
from last month's harvest, but where was she found ?
in the neighbors plot! Sigh ..)

5) Or talk to pa ( wouldnt get any gossip. But he is a great listener.
(life philosophy, maths, work, pick any of the above and I am in the safe zone)

6) Keep the door open and gaze at the lake outside.
There is something between me and water. (and also me and cats, it all began in Calcutta, Bongs love cats. Infact, I have seen cats that look like pomeranians.).
Back to the lakes. I have lived near water ever since I
left home , even during the years I was away from Mother India .. Foster Ma
Lake ???

7) When I am at home (Kerala) , there is another activity that I love
(n amuses my folks).Rummage through old boxes. ( There has been so
many transfers for pa,that we still have a few trunks, unopened
since the last shift. and Invariably, they bring surprises,
The last time I was home, I found old letters written by a
friend from Pune about 12-13 years ago. Also , found an old diary.
*giggling*, (I am not going to explain that one !!!)

8) Looking at old pics ( nah, not the onsite pics, those are beautiful, but not the kind that triggers a memory). My folks had a tradition of taking a family pic on my bdays. hmm.. Thanks to them , I have pics which say 1992 - Nov, with me in a cute skirt and trying to look old, the glasses sure helps. There is another one with me in a sari while I was still in school. But my fav is the one with me in amma's arms while I was a few months old. Its a black and white pic , slightly tilted, with a slight worry on amma's face. Its not cute. It screams 'Life!'.

9) Book hunting at Blossoms or a kutty shop in Jayanagar.
(Looking for boooks by Virgenia Woolfe, didnt someone tell me
that she chased insanity during her later years ?)

10) Reading about obscure places , that I would see in future ( did you notice the confidence in that statement, Atta girl!)

Hmm.. re reading these, and almost all of them are solo activities and of the to be done at home variety. I need to get out more often. ( looking for a play to watch today)..

2 comments:

Pixie said...

LOL!!

gossip from my ma has increased these days! What with family functions at the horizon, the gossip comes by thick and fast!!! ;)

Did you read Tom Sawyer?
I love huckleberry Finn more! :) :)

Hazel said...

hmm.. I did ... I have always loved Tom more... Remember the incident with him n Becky at school.. That was how I was introduced to Mark Twain... so .. well ... i have a soft corner for TOM ;)