Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas of '89


I like this time of the year - the holidays, the excitement of a new year and the whole place looks colourful , thanks to Christmas. I think the origin of the 'excitement' is from the good ol days of Doordarshan. Those were the days when the film stars used to descend on the Indian homes only on the night New years eve. Hmm.. those dances in glittery clothes and garish make up and the look of 'that 70s show'. Then there were the likes of Baba Sehgal, Alisha Chinai, Parvati Khan - the Indi popstars, no correction , I think there was one rapper, one pop girl and a couple of others who tried everything else.

Those were the days when you had the film stars and then there were the TV stars. Mix n match was a no no. Today of course you see the film stars more on TV than on the silver screen . They prefer doing their thing anywhere but on the big screen these days. Not too hard to understand too - it is hard to keep your nose out of the cricket field, the reality shows , the dance shows, the musical shows, the comedy shows, the spelling tests , the elocution contests, poster competitions- err I would stop. I think you would have got my point. Yeah, thank you, I did miss GK contests from the list but it is hard to find candidates of the same 'intellectual level as the 'stars' - It is not easy to find earthworms at this time of the year. Sigh!

If extra TV time was not enough, there was winter vacation, cakes, handmade cards with cheesy lines to bring lots of cheer.. Yet another Sigh!

Christmas this year is not going to be as exciting as the one in 89 but then there is still hope. Just saw the cakes on display in Nilgiris... :)

4 comments:

Scorpio said...

Gurdaad Maan(the quintessential bhangra boy/man)...Usha Uthup(the surname kept changing for a while)...Sunita Rao(pari hoon main!)...Shiamak Daavar, Remo(the original dancing stars)...How could this not be entertainment! ;)

I remember one year when most of the DD studios were on strike during New Year's Eve...the only DD studio that was functional was DD Madras (it wasn't chennai yet)...it was funny to see Jaspal Bhatti going around the streets of Madras in a rickshaw trying to spread the cheer of New Year's Eve in his punjabi-laced-hindi!!!

Btw...I had completely forgotten about cakes all day long...now after reading ur post...I HAVE TO have it...

Hazel said...

:D oh yes... forgot about Jaspal Bhatti ... god it was fun....

Chocolate lava .. eh :D

And am serious.. the cakes in Nilgiris look promising.. :P very Christmasy!

Sanjana said...

Pleeease nothing about cakes.. I am trying to keep my hand off my wallet everytime i see them and its no easy thing.

BTW cute pic :-)

Hazel said...

:D ..N I bought the first of my xmas cakes today .. its a nice .. no nonsense plum cake ...*trying to mislead some ppl* :P