Saturday, December 19, 2009

Mushy Musings...


Statutory warning - This is a very girly post . Reader discretion is advised!

My status on FB today reads : 'Setting myself up for a lovely afternoon... drawn curtains, Jayne Anne Krentz and a new play list.' Perfect day to laze around too. Its cold , no exams to write and nothing much that would need my immediate attention outside the four walls of my abode.

When I was going though a pseudo intellectual phase, I would shudder at thought of someone seeing me with a M n B or Sandra Brown.. Hell no, Ayn Rand and Naomi Wolfe is all I read. Small concessions would of course be made for Grisham, Cussler and the likes. Admitting to liking mush would be suicide on the social front. That was THEN!

But then I think its a heavily guarded open secret that most women like reading mush .. or at least the ones around me do and not one of these are the airy fairy type. They enjoy serious literature as much a good love story. So what makes today's woman read about one of them falling for a guy who is interested in her inheritance. Of course it helps that the guy is not a hideous brute but if a pretty face was the only reason, a good movie would do. But it is not the same. I would pick a book over everything else. But talking about why a book over a movie would form a different post altogether. Back to the subject on mush, its not thought provoking, its does not give me a high the way a Cussler novel does. I would also agree that most of it is even silly.

Its funny . At 18 I used to silently giggle while reading an M n B (well, a guy , a horse, sunset, and those things together were still within the realm of reality). Even now, when I no longer look at the world with rose tinted glasses, the reaction has not changed much and from the looks of it, I do not think it would change at all in future too. Some time back, I had struck up an unlikely friendship with Ms Laing who loves mush perhaps even more than I do and she is about 60. I do not think I have any hopes of being cured. But I agree with her when she says , when you are ill, physically (err.. or emotionally), 3 hours of mush works like magic.

Also, its an escape .. Successful romances, passion and ideal ends to love stories is like a vacation from real life.. :)

Now back to Jayne Ann. Phila and Nick are about to get into another squabble :D

7 comments:

Pixie said...

Did you like the book? :)

I still need to pick up a few more of her books... MG Road seems to be the best place! ;)

Hazel said...

Not enuf to buy more..:P

Oj said...

mmm... Mush and you.. Interesting! Kind of unusual but that's what makes it so interesting perhaps!

Hazel said...

:)..not good for my image eh ?

Sanjana said...

Girls love mush coz they dream about a similar future. Women love mush coz they love fantasy.
The Golden Chance is a good one.:-)
BTW have u had a chance to read Wildest Hearts by JAK??

Sanjana said...

Hey Hazel, u dont need to buy any of JAK.. i have already given u the full set. :-)

Hazel said...

I do not think i have .. but wud check ..