Sunday, December 13, 2009

Ghost Town

The other day in reply to a question on Bangalore,I had said that it lacks a soul. It was an instinctive reply.And this comment was made while comparing Bangalore to Chennai. Now, at that time, I had not really thought about why I had made that comment. Talking about 'soul' brought it back and I am left thinking as to what does Chennai have that Bangalore doesn't. Both are biggies. Bangalore is not a metro,but that does not take away anything from it . It shares the same IT frenzy, traffic troubles and unbelievable population figures as Chennai. In fact, Bangalore even boasts of a pleasant climate and taps guarantee water any time of the day , all through the year. So what is it that Bangalore lack.

I would say it lacks the warmth of Chennai. The rickshaw drivers for example. I know for a fact unless you are a veteran in Chennai, rest assured you would be taken for a grand ride. But, if like me you have the habit of getting lost whenever you are out on a two wheeler, the same rogues, turn angels. Some of them would even get out of the vehicles to have more space for the arm waving while giving directions and by the time it is over, I would be left staring at the halos floating over their heads.

Try that in Bangalore, and you would end up near the army barracks in Cantonment. I did!

Even otherwise, in the midst of the crowd in Chennai, there was a sense of safety, somehow, the crowd was like a warm blanket. Well, there is nothing really wrong with the crowds in Bangalore, its just that Bangalore has a large floating population and the chances are higher that the person next to you would be as ignorant as you about the city. The floating population also means that there no sense of belonging to the city, everyone is here for the ride, the youngsters to enjoy the first whiff of freedom, the others for the jobs that the city offers in abundance. Also, Chennai is or was more Old India, at least the last time I saw the city and I believe it still is . The neighbouring aunty would still you a cup of coffee if you happen to be on the terrace. She would also stare at you if your guy friend loiters around the street. Bangalore - well, I do not know whether its an aunty or an uncle who stays in the floor below mine.

After everything is said and done Bangalore is just not home although I still love the city for everything it has given me . Its like a rented DVD though, super fun as long as it lasts.

Oh before I forget , the other reason I have a soft corner for the auto guys in Chennai is , because one of them even took me to the hospital when I had dared to indulge in rash driving in the rains. Good Ol' Chennai.
P.S :
P -Take a deep breath before you comment :-)... Remember I am you friend!!!

11 comments:

Ottayan said...

What you say about the auto drivers are true.

Hazel said...

:)...

Akshay said...

*Deep breath*
True what you say about Bangy. Although, i have stayed in Chennai for a decent amount of time. I liked the place as well (!) -
But, only to a certain extent. And as you ARE my friend. I shall comment no further.
*Exhaled*

Jinguchakka said...

The one thing I hate about Chennai are the auto drivers.

Otherwise I agree with the "secure" feeling that Chennai gives.

Hazel said...

Akshay.. :-) ...I understand your love for Chennai is beyond words :P

Hazel said...

@J hmm.. :) ... the auto guys, have they become worse now ?..

Pixie said...

Ah.. auto drivers in Blore - they are the meanest lot aren't they?

I cant talk about comparisons becuase I haven't stayed in Chennai long enough to do that.
But, weather-wise, I prefer Bangalore! :D

Hazel said...

hmm Pix... the blore ones are not too bad :D

Sanjana said...

I feel absolutely compelled to agree and applaud whenever anyone says anything good about chennai. :D
Chennai is awaiting your arrival ma'am :-)

Oj said...

You just made me miss home! Chennai!!! here I come!!!!!!!!! :-)

Hazel said...

:).. lol... I miss chennai too