Saturday, December 12, 2009

Not Lonely!!!

A dear friend of mine mentioned about not being lonely in a long long time and that has got me thinking . For me, lonely means being alone and being miffed over it . A lot of people associate lonely with being alone physically - bereft of a near and dear ones. I for one have felt lonely in a room full of relatives with Villy Aunty spouting venom over her latest victim and the room echoing with the sound of chairs scraping the floor - the rest of my clan was trying to get closer to the drama.

Watching Goliath maul the weakling usually can get me going and amma's firm grip on my arm meant I am not supposed to interfere. I did think, am I the freak here or is everyone
really enjoying this ??

Perhaps I use the wrong example , but the point here is it is possible to feel lonely bang in the middle of a crowd - that too a known one !

Infact , I would say I have been more lonely when I am with people than when I am with myself.

There is a theory that are 2 kind of people - A - one who derive energy by being with people and B - the others who derive it from inside themselves. Which basically means feeling lonely is very very easy - man being a social animal, type B gets their chance to be lonely almost daily where
as for type A - it is difficult to be in the middle of a crowd all the time. so loneliness is bound to sneak in once in a while

So in a world where feeling lonely is a norm, my dear friend is one lucky girl! :-)

12 comments:

Type C (e.g. ET) said...

There is a Type C: People who feel lonely and not lonely (both inner and outer) at the same time...You know what I mean?

Pixie said...

Hugs!

But, you know, I have learnt to detach myself mentally when such drama, as the one you have mentioned as example happens...

Being alone is ok, for me. But, that's not being lonely, for me. :)

Hazel said...

@ET.. You still owe me an on Type C

@P... Hugs right back at ya ...:)...
The example was an excuse to talk abt Villy Aunty , I seem to have forgotten her in my posts..:)...Used it to only show that you can feel very alone in a room full of people too ..Like I said , I quite envy you...but you know what .. feeling lonely is ok too .. I mean .. unless someone is inclined to the extremes, its the catalyst for making friends, new hobbies etc..:)

Akshay said...

thats so true, but i so wish you wouldnt have classified loneliness. Cant we keep things a bit simple here. Your classification goes to say that type A cant be type B cant be type C (defined later). Are people really like that? Or is it the need to communicate at a certain level that makes them so?

Hazel said...

Hmm... Akshay. I agree with you on the definition..
The classification is just 2 or 3 out of the 101 ways to get there ..
:)
And yes ... I agree its not mutually exclusive .. nothing about people is ,I guess. only the classification , any classification is static.. people are not..

Sanjana said...

Loneliness, as is beauty, is in the eye/mind of the beholder. So yea I can empathize with what you are saying.

As for the scenario you had described, I think it is sometimes more miserable being the witness than the victim. :-)

Sanjana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hmla2599 said...

I think you can be surrounded by people and be lonely, or all by yourself and feel whole.

It's funny, I just wrote a post on this subject recently.

: )

hmla2599 said...

I think you can be surrounded by people and be lonely, or all by yourself and feel whole.

It's funny, I just wrote a post on this subject recently.

: )

Hazel said...

:)..yes.. Thanks for the comment. Keep visting.

Oj said...

This makes a lot of sense.. and it made me feel loony though. wonder why.. :P

Hazel said...

loony?.. err...my post made u as basket case ..nice..:P